Deadly Drop – Wine Kills 21
Two Britons have died after drinking rice wine laced with methanol, in what appears to have been an attempt at a mass poisoning on the Indonesian island of Bali.
Alan Colen, 59, suffered a painful, drawn-out death on Saturday after buying an adulterated bottle of local wine, known as arak, from a roadside stall hear his home in Canggu, North Kuta.
Rose Johnson, 48, a British-born painter based in Phoenix, Arizona, died early yesterday in the eastern Sanur area after drinking from the same batch of poisoned arak.
Mr Colen, who has lived on Bali for 13 years, and Ms Johnson, who was holidaying on the resort island, are among 21 people who have died in the past week from alcohol poisoning.